The Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association (PIPLA) is pleased to announce its annual Intellectual Property Law Student Leadership Award competition for 2021. See below or review the application information HERE.
The Award: One $1,500 award will be given to a law student at either the University of Pittsburgh or Duquesne University. Although the award has traditionally been given to a graduating student, all students meeting the criteria are encouraged to apply.
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, an Applicant must:
(1) Be a currently enrolled law student at either the University of Pittsburgh or Duquesne University;
(2) Have completed or be currently enrolled in at least two Intellectual Property courses; and
(3) Engage in at least one extra-curricular Intellectual Property-related activity or organization.
Selection Criteria: The award will be based upon the Applicant’s demonstration of leadership as reflected by the Applicant’s:
(1) Grades in the courses taken in the law school’s Intellectual Property elective course concentration and the Intellectual Property courses in which the Applicant is currently enrolled;
(2) Level and impact of participation in student or professional organizations that are related to the development, education, or advancement of Intellectual Property. Particular weight will be given to participation and level of involvement in PIPLA;
(3) Level and impact of participation in moot court competitions involving Intellectual Property issues;
(4) Articles written on Intellectual Property issues submitted for publication in any medium; and
(5) Level and impact of clinical or other collaborative work involving Intellectual Property issues.
Please note, although selection criterion (1) will apply to all applicants, the extent to which the Selection Criteria (2) through (5) apply will vary from applicant to applicant. In other words, an Applicant having engaged in an activity identified in any of selection criteria (2) through (5) is a plus in the evaluation of the Applicant for an award, but is not necessary to receive an award.
Submission Date: Any eligible law student who wishes to apply must complete and submit the attached Application form to the address indicated thereon no later than April 5, 2021.
Award Date: The award will be presented to the winning applicant at the April 15, 2020 dinner meeting of PIPLA which will be held at the Duquesne Club.
Application Form: available HERE. All applicants must use the Application Form.